All jewellery is delicate to some degree and because I want you to enjoy your purchase for many years I suggest the following tips for keeping it in good condition.
- Store all items separately in their individual bags to avoid scratching. Necklaces and bracelets are best stored loosely coiled to prevent kinking.
- Wear your jewellery regularly. This will help slow the natural process of tarnishing as it comes into contact with the natural oils of your skin.
- Store jewellery away from flowing air and humidity, particularly not in a bathroom.
- Clean silver regularly with a good quality precious metal polishing cloth.
- Wipe pearls with a damp cloth after wearing to keep the lustre.
- Use harsh abrasives and chemical cleaners. These can easily damage delicate beads, particularly soft, porous stones such as turquoise, amber and freshwater pearls.
- Wear your jewellery whilst applying perfume, hairspray, body lotions, etc as the chemicals can damage the metal and gemstones.
- Wear your jewellery bathing or in the shower to avoid building up a soapy film.
- Wear your jewellery when exercising. The salts and acids in perspiration and the chlorine in swimming pools can all damage metal and gemstones.